The Australian Curriculum: Media Arts involves using digital multimedia to create representations of the world and tell stories using formats such as television, film, video, newspapers, radio, games, and mobile media.
In Media Arts students study, design, create and distribute multimedia works. They learn to engage with communications technologies and cross-disciplinary art forms to design, produce, distribute and interact with a range of print, audio, screen-based or hybrid artworks and explore, view, analyse and participate in media culture from a range of viewpoints and contexts. They learn to be critically aware of ways that the media are culturally used and negotiated, and the factors which shape contemporary communication through media technologies and globally networked communications.
Exploring ideas and improvising with ways to represent ideas
- Experiment with the organisation of ideas to structure stories through media conventions and genres to create points of view in images, sounds and text (ACAMAM066)
Manipulating and applying the elements/concepts with intent
- Develop media representations to show familiar or shared social and cultural values and beliefs, including those of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples (ACAMAM067)
Developing and refining understanding of skills and techniques
- Develop and refine media production skills to shape the technical and symbolic elements of images, sounds and text for a specific purpose and meaning (ACAMAM068)
Structuring and organising ideas into form
- Plan, structure and design media artworks that engage audience (ACAMAM069)
Sharing artworks through performance, presentation or display
- Present media artworks for different community and institutional contexts with consideration of ethical and regulatory issues (ACAMAM070)
Analysing and reflecting upon intentions
- Analyse how technical and symbolic elements are used in media artworks to create representations influenced by story, genre, values and points of view of particular audiences (ACAMAM071)
Responding to and interpreting artworks
- Identify specific features and purposes of media artworks from contemporary and past times to explore viewpoints and enrich their media arts making, starting with Australian media artworks including of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander media artworks (ACAMAM072)