This element is about receptive language and involves students using skills and strategies to access and interpret spoken, written, visual and multimodal texts.
Students navigate, read and view texts using applied topic knowledge, vocabulary, word and visual knowledge. They listen and respond to spoken audio and multimodal texts, including listening for information, listening to carry out tasks and listening as part of participating in classroom activities and discussions. Students use a range of strategies to comprehend, interpret and analyse these texts, including retrieving and organising literal information, making and supporting inferences and evaluating information and points of view. In developing and acting with literacy, students:
- navigate, read and view learning area texts
- listen and respond to learning area texts
- interpret and analyse learning area texts.
The element of Comprehending texts can apply to students at any point in their schooling. The beginning of the learning sequence for this element has been extended by four extra levels (Levels 1a to 1d) to describe in particular the early development of communication skills. The descriptions for Comprehending texts at these levels apply across the elements of Text knowledge, Grammar knowledge, Word knowledge and Visual knowledge.
usebehaviours that are not intentionally directed at another personto:
- attend to, respond to or show interest in familiar people, texts, events and activities
useinformal behaviours that show consistent anticipation of events in regular routines to:
- attend consistently to familiar texts
- respond consistently to social interactions with familiar people
- demonstrate anticipation of predictable events
- respond to questions
- respond to requests
useconventional behaviours and/or concrete symbols consistently in an increasing range of environments and with familiar and unfamiliar people to:
- respond to a sequence of gestures, objects, photographs and/or pictographs, for example follow a visual schedule to complete a task
- respond to texts with familiar structures, for example by responding to a question
- respond to requests